My research expertise is in the area of attitudes and persuasion. In particular, I pursue applications related to health communication and behavior. Current problem domains include organ donation, cancer screening, and hand-hygiene compliance in medical settings. In all these problem domains, we are trying to uncover complex interactions among relevant personality attributes using decision trees and other segmentation methods-- with the ultimate goal of developing more appropriate strategies for intervention and message design.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Health Psychology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Albarracin, D., Kumkale, G. T., & Poyner-Del Vento, P. (2017). How people can become persuaded by weak messages presented by credible communicators: Not all sleeper effects are created equal. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 68, 171-180.
- Albarracín, D., & Kumkale, G. T. (2003). Affect as information in persuasion: A model of affect identification and discounting. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 453-469.
- Albarracín, D., Kumkale, G. T., & Johnson, B. T. (2004). Influences of social power and normative support on condom use decisions: A research synthesis. Aids Care, 16, 700-723.
- Albarracín, D., McNatt, P. S., Findley-Klein, C., Ho, R., Mitchell, A., & Kumkale, G. T. (2003). Persuasive communications to change actions: An analysis of behavioral and cognitive impact in HIV prevention. Health Psychology, 22, 166-177.
- Demir, B., & Kumkale, G. T. (2013). Individual differences in willingness to become an organ donor: A decision tree approach to reasoned action. Personality and Individual Differences, 55, 63-69.
- Gülgöz, S., Kumkale, G. T., Aktunç, M. E., & Eskenazi, T. T. (2000). Designing learnable texts: The effectiveness of revisions based on a text-processing model. Document Design, 1, 103-114.
- Sarıal-Abi, G. Z., Gürhan-Canlı, Z., Kumkale, G. T., & Yoon, Y. (2016). Discretionary spending tendency under financial constraints: The role of self-concept clarity. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33(3), 612-623.
- Albarracín, D., Cohen, J. B., & Kumkale, G. T. (2003). When communications collide with recipients’ actions: Effects of post-message behavior on intentions to follow the message recommendation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 834-845.
- Sen, C. K. N. & Kumkale, G. T. (2015) Identifying women not attending mammogram screenings: A decision tree approach to mammogram compliance profiling. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Handley, I. M., Albarracin, D., Brown, R. D., Li, H., Kumkale, E. C., & Kumkale, G. T. (2009). When the expectations from a message will not be realized: Naive theories can eliminate expectation-congruent judgments via correction. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 4, 933-939.
- Kumkale, G. T., & Albarracín, D. (2004). The sleeper effect in persuasion: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 130, 143-172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.1.143
- Kumkale, G. T., Albarracín, D., & Seignourel, P. (June, 2010). The effects of source credibility in the presence or absence of prior attitudes: Implications for the design of persuasive communication campaigns. Journal of Applied and Social Psychology, 40, 1325–1356.
- Sen, C. K. N., & Baruh, L., G. T. Kumkale. (2016). Beyond a paycheck: The influence of work on Turkish women’s cancer screening. Sex Roles, 75, 599-611.
- Kumkale, G. T., & Albarracín, D. (2008). The sleeper effect in persuasion: An accessibility-diagnosticity perspective. Advances in Consumer Research, 34, 266-270.
- Kumkale, G. T. (2007). The sleeper effect in persuasion. In W. A. Dariety (Ed.), International encyclopedia of the social sciences (2nd Ed. p. 550). Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference.
- Kumkale, G. T. (2007). Guttman scaling. In W. A. Dariety (Ed.), International encyclopedia of the social sciences (2nd Ed. p. 398-399). Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference.
- Cemalcilar, Z., & Kumkale, G. T. (2007). Time orientation. In W. A. Dariety (Ed.), International encyclopedia of the social sciences (2nd Ed. pp.368-369). Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference.
- Albarracín, D., Johnson, B. T., Zanna, M. P., & Kumkale, G. T. (2005). Attitudes: Introduction and scope. In D. Albarracín, B. T., Johnson, & M. P. Zanna (Eds.), The handbook of attitudes (pp. 3-19). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Attitudes and Persuasion
- Introduction to Psychology
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Social Psychology
- Testing and Measurement
G. Tarcan Kumkale
Department of Psychology